What county is Lancaster WI?
The City of Lancaster is located in the Southwest corner of Wisconsin. We are known as the “City of the Dome” for the beautiful Grant County Courthouse in the center of downtown.
When was Lancaster WI founded?
Major G.M. Price, a land speculator, laid out the town in 1837. He was persuaded to name it Lancaster by a relative who migrated from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. At Pleasant Ridge, one of the first African-American communities in Wisconsin was founded by the Shepard family in 1849 and settled in the 1850s.
Who is Grant County named for?
The Washington State Legislature officially created Grant County February 24, 1909, and named after President Ulysses S. Grant. The county seat was located in Ephrata. The population in the county at the time was only about 8700 people.
When was Grant County Wi established?
1836– Grant County was created 8 December 1836 from Iowa County.